Monday, August 22, 2011

decisions, decisions



Why is it so hard for our generation to make a decision?


I have a hard time deciding what to eat for lunch on a daily basis. When it comes to making major life decisions, don't even think about it. I could go back and forth for months on end, given the time. And unfortunately, I think this is a problem that ails our generation.

I'm in the middle of a time in my life where I really want to find out what I want to do. Ha. Funny time to be deciding that, right? Having already graduated college and everything. Some people have the fortune to just know. I am decidedly not one of those people. I think I could be happy doing any number of things. And so far, I am. But I want a calling. A purpose. A passion. Something to drive me. Right now, I really do enjoy my job. But do I think I'm meant to do this for the rest of my life? No.

So that's where I'm at. Deciding what to do for the rest of my life. No easy task. But just like every other decision that I suck at making in my life, there is a path to the right decision. I'm not saying I'll make the right decision in a couple of days. But I will have decided to try something, anything. And if that doesn't work out... Well, back to the drawing board.

Here's my path to any great decision. From lunch to major life events, it never fails...
  1. Set a deadline. Like I said earlier, I could sit and think about this for the rest of my life. That just won't do. Give yourself a reasonable amount of time {not too long, not too short} to have a decision.
  2. Do your research. This may be the journalism nerd coming out in me. But find out everything you can about your choices so that you can make a well informed decision.
  3. Write it down. Weigh the pro's and con's by literally writing them all down.
  4. Internalize it. Think about it. Pray about it. Meditate on it.
  5. Talk it out. Share your concerns, feelings, etc. with someone you trust. Sometimes just verbalizing your concerns is enough to realize you're being silly. Sometimes a new perspective can shed a new light. But in the end, remember it's your decision.
  6. Just go for it. At some point you're going to have to make up your mind, so just do it. Jump!
  7. No looking back. Once you've made your decision, don't second guess it. Trust that you've made the right decision for you. Don't waste time with the what if's. And stick it out. Let it run its course.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own regard."

-Amelia Earhart


No comments:

Post a Comment