Tuesday, August 2, 2011

signs of adulthood


(via)

I had a moment the other day when I was looking at personalized stationary for myself. A moment where it hit me, I'm really an adult. Never in my life have I cared about having stationary with my initials on them to send to my grandma {because she's the only one I actually ever send snail mail to}.

I have these moments from time to time. Doing things like buying my first car, paying my first college loan payment, booking my first trip by myself, picking up a bottle of wine after a day at work. Little Reminders that I'm no long a baby--I'm a {semi} responsible human being. How and when did I suddenly get here?

Feeling responsible and in charge of my own life is great. Not having to constantly worry about my parents' approval {even though I still do from time to time}, not having to ask for money--it's nice! And yet, there are times I wish I could rewind about five years, back to when my life was mostly carefree and less complicated.

Suddenly I have to worry about making my paycheck last the full two weeks so I can pay my bills on time and feed myself. I have a job to be at Monday-Friday. You know, those responsibilities that come along with being responsible.

Ahh, being a grownup. It's a double-edged sword. Most days I'm wishing I could pack up and jet around the world at the drop of a hat, or spend a weekend visiting friends in Chicago, or buy a really great pair of jeans whenever I want to.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that I can't decide whether being an adult rules or sucks. There are certainly some perks, but then there are times I would gladly hand it over to be carefree for just a little while longer.

Someone should have warned me that being an adult is hard. And so is picking out personalized stationary.


No comments:

Post a Comment