Monday, August 15, 2011

too busy being fantastic

(via)

There comes a time in any 20-something's life when everyone they know, and even some they don't, seem to be getting married. That's a fact I've finally come to terms with. So you think you're in love and want to spend the rest of your life with someone? Go for it. Have the time of your life. I'll just be here enjoying my time sans spouse.

What I have not come to terms with however is why these sudden marrieds think their 22/23/24/25 year old selves are suddenly ready to have and care for a child, let alone multiple children. Because I for one cannot think of anything I would rather do less at this point.

A side note to my future children: Mommy loves you. But mommy will love you more in about 10 years when I'm not so selfish anymore.

Listen, I can't wait to have kids. Mostly because I have a lot to say, and a child is the only thing I can think of that I will be able to force to listen to me 24/7. Also, kids are cute. Even I can admit that.

But right now, nothankyouverymuch.

Top 5 signs that I'm not ready to have a baby any time soon:
  1. The idea of constantly having to care for another human being sounds sort of gross right now. {Also relates to pets, plants, any life form.}
  2. I would rather spend money on clothes than anything practical.
  3. Sleep is not a luxury. It's a right.
  4. My iPhone has seen better days. {Check out this interview for relevance.}
  5. I can't think of one person I would actually commit to spending the next 18 years with in order to parent said child. Pretty crucial, I'd say.
Safe to say I will be sticking to the auntie role for at least a couple more years.

So am I the most selfish person you know? Or just really honest with myself? Probably a little bit of both. But that's okay, because I fully realize I only have a few more years to be the most selfish person ever. Which can be chalked up to one reason I love where I'm at right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment