Thursday, March 14, 2013

old habits die hard

NYE 2012


In June, I turn the big 2-5. (Stupidly excited about that. Hurry up June 17!) And with that milestone of a birthday, I’ve decided that in my next year of life I’m going to strive for…. Irresponsibility.

No, that’s not a typo.

Right about the time that everyone else around me is probably hoping for the opposite, I’m going to do my best to be a little more reckless. Carefree. Young.

Maybe it’s just a figment of my imagination, but I feel like I’ve spent a lot of my young adult life doing everything I was supposed to be doing, exactly how I was supposed to be doing it. Just because that was what I was told to do. Or at least what I thought I supposed to do.

I went to college. Worked a few jobs while going to school. Took a full course load each semester. Graduated a semester early. Immediately started a full time job. And three years later here I am.

Bored.

I’m not excited by my own life. I know how blessed I am. How lucky I am to be where I am. But my day in-day out is so predictable and typical that sometimes I want to pull my hair out. Nothing is out of the ordinary for this girl.

My 25th year is going to be out of the ordinary. 

I'm going to do things I want to do. Stay up past my bedtime. Follow my heart instead of my conscience. Eat donuts for breakfast just because I want. Spend my savings on stupid things. Enjoy being young and {semi} free and stupid. 

I’m kicking it off a month early in May, with plans for a few days in New Orleans with my boyfriend. Can I afford it? Barely. Should I spend so much money on a long weekend in New Orleans? Probably not. Which is exactly why I’m doing it. So there.

If I’m going to only get one life, you better believe I’m going to start being excited by it. So cheers to a more unpredictable, thrilling, exciting life....starting in May! 

And yes, I’m planning my own unpredictability. Old habits die hard. 




No comments:

Post a Comment