Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How Rude

Via Pinterest
Oh how I loved Stephanie Tanner and her ability to tell people they were being plain rude in such an adorable, cute way. Because when someone is rude to me, I want to kick them in their shins.

My boyfriend's son recently got in trouble for doing that. A little girl in his daycare was untying his shoelaces and he asked her to stop. When she didn't, he kicked her.

Props to the little man, if you ask me. If we could go around kicking people when they were just plain rude, mean or out of line, perhaps people would take it down a few notches to spare their shins.

I'm writing this post because for the last two days I feel as though I have been surrounded. Rude people. Snarky people. Someone with this wrong or that wrong, and it is somehow my doing, fault or problem.

And while I may have just taken all of my aggression out on the fly currently buzzing around my head, it's much better than taking it on on these people behaving as such. BECAUSE, I once had one of those "aha" moments a few years ago that went something like this: Never let another's poor character affect your own. For me, this was a powerful realization.

As Mother Teresa so wisely says:
“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. 
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. 
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway. 
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. 
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. 
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. 
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.” 

While I am far from being any sort of saint, her words remind me that if you let people influence the way you behave, they start to influence who you are. And slowly, but surely, you may become one of those rude, snarky, just plain mean people. 

So, I'll take heed to what was explained to my boyfriend's 3-year-old son, "We don't kick." And put myself in a long time out. 


P.S. Don't be rude tip: IF you are replying to an email, which someone signs with their name, LOOK at how they spell it. And when you reply, either DON'T address them by name, or freaking spell it correctly. 

1 comment:

  1. love this lady! definitely makes me think about the way i let people affect me. it all comes back to the power you let people have over you.

    ReplyDelete