Wednesday, January 30, 2013

two big things

Annye, our friend Jaymi, and me at a photo shoot when we worked together. Tough job, eh?
Via hudsonphotos.com
Sometimes I get really caught up in figuring everything out -- I mean...have your read our blog? ;) With a gentle reminder from a friend this week to slow down and just be, I'm giving it a whirl. My mind never stops trying to make sense of the past or plan the future.

In an effort to focus on the here and now, I'm going to start by giving thanks for all of the things in my life that do make sense, just as they are now. No heavy lifting required.

1. My friends. It took me a long time to find good ones, but the ones I found -- they're awesome. Whether they are telling me what I need to hear (even when it stings) or showing me pure love and support, I genuinely admire each and every one of them, and strive to be more like them in this way or that. How awesome is that? To get to surround yourself with people who make you better.

2. Graduate school. Not that I haven't found myself in moments of insecurity about my ability to help another with an issue they are facing -- but I believe in this profession. From our ethical code to our techniques and theories down to the simple fact that most of the time people just need someone to talk to who will actually listen. This path, this journey -- I'm supposed to be on it. I can feel it. I may not be a perfect counselor, or even a great counselor -- but even on my worst days, and in my most insecure moments, I know I will still do a good job at this work...because my heart is in it.

And...

That's it. Yep, two things. But I'm patting myself on the back here because those are two big things. Two big things I am absolutely sure of. Two things that allow me to be present and let the other things fall to the wayside. Two things I have figured out by 25.

And for that -- I am grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment