Monday, October 17, 2011

music monday: the breakup blues

I love music, so I'm hoping you'll induldge me a bit by letting me write about it. I can't promise that it will be earth shattering or anything, or that we'll even have the same taste, but you might like what I have to share... and if nothing else, you'll know what not to listen to ;)

Last fall, I got my hands on Sara Bareilles' album-- Keleidoscope Heart. I listened to it for the first time on a solo road trip. I wasn't going through a break up--I was actually pretty happy. But from the first time I listened to the entire album I realized she was singing about every emotion I had felt a year before when I was going through a pretty rough time. I listened to that CD from start to finish probably four times during that trip. It was love at first listen.

Now, a year later... that is still the CD I recommend when I know someone is going through a tough time. The best thing about it is it's not too sad or sappy--though singing about broken hearts, love lost, etc... she manages to keep it upbeat and peppy. It's almost fun to sing about these things. There are enough sappy songs out there to fall asleep crying to, am I right? It's nice to have another option from time to time. When you're going through a tough time it's easy to let yourself wallow, but I honestly think this CD lifts you up and snaps you out of it, if only for a little while.

Here are two songs from the record that I love:

You've probably heard this one on the radio...

King of Anything by SaraBareilles

But it was this one that I completely fell in love with. In fact, when Jena and I were tossing around ideas for this blog, this song was a huge source of inspiration for me.

Sara Bareilles - Uncharted [Radio Mix] by MMMusic

Listen and let me know what you think! What are you go-to heartbreak songs or artists? I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment