Monday, March 19, 2012

good christian bitches

Hello and happy Monday dear readers! I hope your week is off to a great start. Mine certainly is already better than the last. Although we're not quite done with our deadline at work, things are looking up and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so that's not bad.

Today I have a funny story to share that reminded me of the new ABC show, GCB. Have you seen it? I've watch the first two episodes and let me just tell you, as a resident of the South, a lot of it hits home. And this story is just one example of that....

I'd like to preface this story by saying, I'm not the best driver out there. However, I will admit, I'm one of those people who thinks they could give lessons to everyone else on the road. It seems like Arkansas is home to the WORST drivers in the nation. After all, we're not required to take driver's ed here. I kid you not. And most of the time, our lack of education shows.

Yesterday, I was on my way to church with my sister. We were driving in separate cars because she had to stop to get gas. On our way, we were stopped at a light and I was in the right lane and she was in the left lane, both of us behind one other care. When the light turned green, we all started to go, except the Tahoe I was behind was going at least 20 under the speed limit. Not one to tolerate slowness, especially when I'm already running late to hear the Good Word, I merge into the left lane behind my sister.

The car in front of my sister gets into the median to turn left, so my sister speeds up to pass the Tahoe and get into the right lane (our turn was coming up and we both ultimately needed to be in the right lane). Then, wouldn't you know it....the damn Tahoe starts to speed up! She knew we needed to get over and she wasn't going to let us in.

This is my biggest pet peeve. When people drive like they own the road. First, the lady was going 20 mph under the speed limit and then, magically she finds her gas pedal and decides she's not going to let anyone pass her. With the turn approaching quickly, I had no choice but to slam on my brakes and get back behind her. And she proceeds to slow down again. UGH!

Finally we both make the same right turn and I am able to pass her on the next street thanks to my stellar accelerating skills. With a sharp look and the shake of my fist, I'm on my merry way. But it seems God had other plans.

After all that, she and I (the driver of the Tahoe, that is) had the same destination: Sunday night mass. What a coincidence! Let's just say the parking lot outside of church has never been quite so awkward. But I made sure to glare at her through my sunnies and even said a prayer or two for her terrible on-the-road etiquette.

Bless her heart.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment