Friday, July 29, 2011

bad date hall of fame


I was watching an episode of Parks & Rec, one of my favorite shows, last night. In it, Leslie Knope {the main character} was talking about all the bad dates she has ever been on. This spurred my idea to share with y'all one of my worst first dates. Enjoy!

Let me preface this by saying I don't typically recommend going on a date with someone you know nothing about. It usually does not end well. But I was in college and willing to try anything once. Sorry mom!

It all started at a party {isn't that how it all starts??} one Saturday night. I met this boy who was cute and seemed nice enough. We talked for a while at the party--but didn't really get to know each other that well. We had no mutual friends, and I don't even think he went to my school, but since he seemed like a nice guy, I agreed to go on a date with him anyways--again, willing to try anything once.

We made plans to meet at a diner in Chicago the following weekend. When I arrived for our date, it was clear he had been at the restaurant for a little while, as he already had food in front of him. In fact he was finishing up his meal as I walked in. RED FLAG. Weird, because like most dates, I had assumed we would be eating together since it was dinnertime and we were meeting at a restaurant. But okay, I let it slide. Instead of staying at the restaurant and letting me order food, he said he wanted to go for a walk. Hmm... okay, I went along with it.

So we walked out to the lakefront in Chicago and took in the beautiful scenery. While we were talking and chatting he happened to mention that he had just gotten out of rehab (for a harder drug that I won't mention). BIG RED FLAG. I guess I'm just not that into recovering addicts. And talk about awkward conversation topic! Should you even bring that up on a first date with a girl you barely know? Probably not. Leave that conversation when you're more serious and she's too invested to run for the hills.

After that I was pretty turned off, but not one to be rude, I stuck around a while longer. He mentioned that he lived around the corner and asked if I wanted to see his apartment. RED FLAG. If a guy asks if you want to see his apartment, he wants other things. Just sayin’. And because I clearly wasn’t feeling it, but didn’t know how to get out of it, I agreed to go, but said I wouldn’t be able to stick around much longer--classic line to say I'm not interested. Well we get to his apartment, only to find out he was still living with his parents. RED FLAG. Yes, he was trying to make moves on me in his parents house--not okay. Needless to say, I didn't stick around long enough to meet his parents or make plans for another date. Sadly, that was the last I saw of him.

Definitely one of the weirder dates of my life. Don’t get me wrong, he seemed like a nice enough guy and I hope he’s found someone who makes him very happy—but that just wasn’t going to be me.

On another note, it's my lovely co-blogger Jena's birthday tomorrow. So be sure to wish her a great 24th birthday. We'll be celebrating by floating down a river... can't wait! Hope you have a great weekend friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment