Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dress to Impress...Yourself.

Recently a high school girl and her mom were in our store looking for a homecoming dress. The girl was deciding between two, and said 'Maybe I should let Andrew decide.' Andrew was her boyfriend. Her mom's response? 'Uh, no. You choose the one you want.' His opinion didn't count in this realm. I overheard and said, 'She's right. That's a good mama.'

Because she was right. Now don't get me wrong. There are times on a date with my man I will opt for a sexy black dress versus my floral jumpsuit. But that doesn't mean I still don't own the floral jumpsuit and wear it whenever I like. 

I conversed with a girl recently who opted out of a certain clothing item she loved because her boyfriend didn't like it. It made me a little mad. I wanted to shake her and tell her to wear whatever the hell she wanted. Beyond the feminist fire shooting out of my ears in that moment, it goes back to the ability to have a good relationship... you can't change who you are to make someone else happy. We're talking about clothes, I realize, but even changing that small thing about yourself isn't a good move.

I'm not saying you have to rock a turban and harem pants. Or not want your boyfriend to think you look hot. But the bottom line is, you do look hot. Be confident. Rock that jumpsuit and I bet he's going to become a fan. But if he doesn't and you love it? You better wear it!

I remember one night my man had planned a fancy dinner out. I went back and forth over what to buy to wear and ended up buying this gorgeous, flowy white maxi dress. I felt beautiful in it. It wasn't sexy, it wasn't tight or low cut. It was fashion-forward and pretty. When I opened the door he just stood there. We shared one of those sappy take my breath away moments. Then there was the 'Wow,' that made me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world. (Gosh this paragraph is cheesy. My apologies. Roll your eyes if needed.) 

So be you. Wear what you want. Chances are he's going to think you look most beautiful in sweats anyway. Plus he should love you for who you are. (Including your fabulous fashion sense.) And if he doesn't? Well, you know what to do with him.

Below are some of my favorite looks you should try!
Boyfriend jeans. Gotta love the name for the baggiest jean there is. 
Shoes with socks. Yes, yes, yes.
High-Waisted EVERYTHING.
Maxi ANYTHING.
Maxi's with boots.
Maxi's with sweaters. Or tees. Or cardies.


No comments:

Post a Comment