Friday, February 17, 2012

processing through it

{via}

If you follow me on twitter or are my IRL friend, you've probably seen/heard me complaining about a certain situation with United Airlines. After a very infuriating two hour phone conversation last night, I was left with nothing resolved and a whole bunch of pent up anger. And if I'm being honest, I'm still feeling a bit of that rage today.

The conversation didn't start off angry. In fact, I'd say for the better part of those two hours, I was able to keep my cool. I understand that the people I was talking to are not the ones responsible for the ridiculous regulations and rules imposed by the company. However, when the representatives I was speaking to started to belittle me and place the blame on me for the situation {which couldn't be further from the truth} that's when I lost my cool.

Have you seen the video of Kristen Bell and the sloth on Ellen? She talks about how if she's anywhere outside of the 3-7 range on an emotional scale, she's crying. That's basically what happens to me. I got angry last night, and because I knew it was so far out of my control, all I could do was cry. Only a few tears, no sobbing, but it did feel good to just let release it.

This whole ordeal has got me thinking about how we process our emotions. Some people do kickboxing or work out in other ways. Others, like me... cry. But I'm also a big writer.... hence the million twitter updates/blog poss/emails that took place last night. It's somewhat therapeutic for me to write it all out... partly because I feel like I can get my point across much better in writing, and partly because I just need to get it out there regardless of whether anyone reads it or not. And a glass of wine and trashy TV seems to do the trick, too. :)

How do you deal with your anger or other emotions? I'm learning that I need to be able to let go of these things before they become bigger issues, and this is just what works for me. I'd love to hear how you "process" everything.

3 comments:

  1. I turn on music and I write.
    I have a blog series I started called "Happiness: Growing and Re-Gaining" and it's about going through hard times and dealing with them while learning how to handle them. The series was based around me losing a best friend of mine and how it affected my life, now it is just things I have learned and am learning.

    I find that writing is my outlet, I have a document saved on my computer labeled "Rambles"....and when I have a problem and am frusterated...I go there and I just write out all my frusterations, so that I can get everything out and I can't affect anyone because I won't lash out on them. :)

    Hope that helps.

    -Ashlee Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drive! And listen to crappy country music. And cry. Once the crying is out, I sing to the country music. Other days I just cry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww girlie, I am soooo sorry to hear about your rude interactions with people. I don't know the situation since I am not on twitter, but I HOPE things get better. Sending good vibes your way!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete