Friday, January 6, 2012

a lack of idealism

(via)

Have you watched the movie No Impact Man? No? That’s okay. I saw it. It was pretty decent. It’s about a guy and his family who try to live a year {I think} with the smallest environmental impact possible. I’m talking no elevators, no cars, compost piles, local food, etc. It was a little extremist for my taste but I did think it was totally commendable that they would do that.

Despite the strong message, my one takeaway from that film had nothing to do with their lifestyle at all. Well maybe it had a little bit to do with it. But it was a quote the main guy said in the middle of the film, and I’m not sure it would have really stood out to anyone else, but it was very poignant for me. He said…

“There is such a lack of idealism. But I think realism is what got us where we are, you know what I’m saying?”

When it comes to thoughts on today’s world and current affairs, I’m what you would call an idealist. I believe in the power of dreaming and hoping for the best for everyone. I do think it’s too easy to get caught up in the cogs of the machine and loose focus on the big picture. Sometimes things aren’t black and white. Sometimes things are perfectly grey and that’s okay.

The other night Kanye took to his twitter and ranted about his beliefs on the education system in America, among other things. Did you see it? I woke up and read them all from bed. I loved it.

Say what you will about the man, {I’m a devoted fan} but Kanye is what I would describe as a dreamer. He was thinking outside of the box and outlining new and interesting ideas for a completely flawed system. No, they may not work. But at least he was pushing the limits.

When was the last time you pushed the limits or thought outside of the box? I think we could use more dreamers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment